20080825

Kriley

Unexpected sad news: one of my UM graduate school professors is gone.  The Memorial was yesterday.  Each of the presenters shared great, insightful stories that made everyone laugh, as well as cry.  And a few commented on the critique he would give if he walked in on the scene of all of us... "get up there and say what you have to say then get out."  I was thinking similarly. That he would ask probing and personal questions, listen thoughtfully, maybe ask some more questions, then tell each of us to get back to work.

Among many thoughtful notes that people made about him, for those who were available to it, was his ability to spin your fears into excitement and enthusiasm.  I felt that was very true, especially for some of my colleagues.  But what I was struck by the most from people's stories, was his generosity of time.  For many, it was clear, he had simply made himself available. I have no idea how he managed so much time, literally, but apparently this was the m.o. of his career. And that feeling and display of sincere interest in me and my creative development was absolutely true. 

I met Kriley and studied with him as he neared retirement. I respected his knowledge, vision and leadership. He treated me with the respect and consideration of a colleague and artist. I was not his protege and we did not share the same goals, but I would fight for him if need be and I trusted that he would fight for me. He did good and he was good. 

No comments: