20100826

The Millionairess

My latest movie recommendation is Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren in The Millionairess from 1960.  


There is no denying Loren's commanding beauty.  Wow.  But Sellers is the one most under-recognized in his career, I think.  I love him most in Dr. Strangelove rather than The Pink Panther works for which he is most recognized, but in The Millionairess he shows his range with another subtle comedic worldly performance.  It's a classic love story - the kind your mom would probably like.  (One I could comfortably watch with Mabel.)  Loren's character eventually redeems herself and Sellers is adorable. 


Even if you don't see the movie sometime soon, at least listen to a wacky song that went with it, "Goodness Gracious Me," performed by the co-stars.  Now I want the album/cd.


P.S. I guess this is a double-rec. If you haven't seen Dr. Strangelove yet, that movie is a requirement for anyone living in this century.  (I assume too often and incorrectly that everyone has seen what I consider the movie 'basics'.)  And if it's been awhile since you saw it and maybe thought you didn't like it, consider revisiting it. Pronto!

No comments: