20120811

celebrating the raucous artist of the kitchen, Julia Child

Last night I celebrated Julia Child's 100th birthday at Pearl Cafe in Missoula, one of 100 restaurants hand-picked around the country to participate in the nationwide homage. And the only one in Montana.  I appreciate how Julia fearlessly encouraged our country into confidently exploring and preparing food at home. I also adore how thorough she was in her research and how vibrant she was as a character.  Had we ever met, I'm certain we would have been fast friends.  Many of us obviously feel this of her, which insured her success.  I think the Julia Child Restaurant Week is a fab idea and we should celebrate her this way every year.  

From the prefix menu, I chose the pork pate´ first plate, the lamb stew and the lemon tart dessert.  I chose well and enjoyed every bit.  I enjoyed it so much that I forgot to take any photos until dessert, a sloppy quick shot with my phone and after digging in, but remembered to toast Julia for her culinary leadership!

lemon tart, Pearl Cafe, Missoula, MT, 2012


The celebration continues until next Wednesday. My friend and I got lucky and squeezed into some empty spaces at the bar, but I recommend calling for a reservation.


The actual date of her birthday is August 15th.  If you appreciate raucous dinner parties too, remember to raise your glass to the queen of them, Julia! 

No comments: